Changing careers isn’t always an easy task. In the midst of a big change, it’s best to come up with a safe and sound plan before making a switch. Be sure to avoid the career blunders below to ensure your big career move is on the right track!
Not Understanding the Difference Between Disliking Your Career and Disliking Your Job
- Before you think about anything else, ask yourself if you dislike your job or if you dislike your career. Many people who hate their jobs do so because of reasons like an unfriendly work environment, strict employers, bad pay or long work hours. Evaluate what is making you unhappy and take measures accordingly.
Not Researching the Job Market
- If you are thinking about changing your field, research the employment rate of the industry. Be sure you’re making a change to a field with potential. If you’re not qualified yet, consider returning school for a certificate or degree that qualifies you for the job. It’s important to realize that all fields are not equal, so make sure you meet the requirements before making the switch.
Not Having a Support Plan Prepared Beforehand
- If you’re considering resigning from your current job without an opportunity on the horizon, you’re taking a big risk. Without a new job lined up, you’ll have to depend on your savings for the foreseeable future. Reconsider the sense of urgency to leave your current job and have a solid financial plan before you make your move.
Fearing What Someone Else Thinks Of Your Job
- If you truly want to make a change, don’t let others sway your decision. Remember that your career path is completely up to you. The opinions of your family and friends are important, but at the end of the day, it’s your job. Make sure you make a decision that makes you the happiest.
Idolizing Someone Else’s Career More
- Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. You can’t force yourself into an industry you won’t thrive in, even if it seems like it’s working well for someone else. If you know someone succeeding in another industry, it doesn’t mean you need to do the same thing. Take pride in what you do and only change your career if you think you have potential to succeed.
Start with avoiding these mistakes and work your way up to getting your dream job. Remember, switching careers isn’t easy.
Kavaliro Employment Agency has offices in Tampa, Fla., Charlotte, N.C., Orlando, Fla., Washington, D.C., and Jacksonville, Fla. and can make sure you find the right people for any important role. We are ready and waiting to help you anytime and look forward to hearing from you.